Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Mystery Trip

As I mentioned last year about this time - the first week of school we take the 9th graders (about 90 of them) on a "Mystery Trip". Basically we load them all into some form of transportation and no one knows what our destination is until we get there. We spend the day in some city doing some activity and then turn around and come back that evening.

This year the Mystery Trip destination was Atlanta - some of the kids were disappointed at first - since Atlanta is only 2 hours away (the chaperones, on the other hand, were ECSTATIC). All disappointments faded as the day unfolded. We saw the Bodies Exhibit and the Dialogue in the Dark exhibit at Atlantic Station. Both of which were amazing.

We had lunch at the Varsity (where I got to see my Dad briefly), then toured the Georgia Aquarium, visited the Coca-Cola Museum (where the kids went DIRECTLY to the infamous tasting room), took the CNN Studio Tour, and then went to a Braves game at Turner Field. The afternoon was so packed we were literally running from one venue to the next. I lived in Atlanta for 27 years and I never did so much in a single day!

Needless to say we were EXHAUSTED when we returned at 1:30 in the morning after the game. (Which went into overtime - naturally.) All in all, the kids are hailing it as the "best mystery trip ever." I'd have to agree.

No comments: