Monday, August 10, 2009

Clearing the Air

I'm embarrassed to write this. But I will anyway.

Last week I was at my friend Laisa's house for dinner. I was telling her that this weekend I was planning on taking care of a few things that need to be done now that we've lived in our house for a full year: pay own homeowners dues, schedule pest control services, change our air filters . . .

She looked at me with this confused look, and I immediately thought 'poor, sweet, innocent, Laisa - this is probably the first house they've owned as well - she doesn't know about changing the air filters!'

So I said to her (kindly), "You know, you are supposed to change the air filters, right?"

It turns out I misread her. That look of confusion was actually a mixture of pity and mild disgust . . . as she replied (kindly), "Yes - but I believe you are supposed to change them every 3 months."

We changed them this weekend (finally). It had been at least a year. I am disgusted with myself.

2 comments:

Mark said...

This might make you feel better: I don't know if we have air filters and, if we do, where I might find them.

Beth Hollenbeck said...

We change our air filters when our a/c stops working well enough to cool the house. When our thermostats read warmer than we have it set for. Actually we just learned that after calling the service guy to come fix our broken a/c. He told us to change the filters. We even have two. Who knew!