Sunday, February 22, 2009

An Open Letter to my Baby Brother

For those of you that were not at my brother's rehearsal dinner on Friday night, or for those of you that WERE there but have difficulty interpreting the blubbering words of an emotional wreck . . .

An open letter to my brother - Craigles.

The relationship between siblings is a truly unique one. You were my first friend. And my closest for many years after that. Our relationship, like any, ebbs and flows. Things brought us closer together or further apart. In the most typical sense, siblings are a part of our lives for decades before our spouses ever comes along, and decades after our parents generation has gone. They are the single strongest link from our past, through our present, and to our future.

You and I never really fought growing up. Not the yelling and screaming that many siblings endure. Ours was the more passive: like whether or not I was singing under my breath in the car just to annoy you (and for the record - I was).

Once I left for college - we would go months without seeing each other. Our phone calls were purposeful - Sometimes minor: who was taking care of buying dad's birthday present. And sometimes more. Talking each other through Mom's surgery and recovery each assuring the other that everything would be ok.

In 2004 I was living in Boston. The Boston Red Sox had won the first three games of the World Series and were up by three runs in the bottom of the ninth. The entire city was like a time bomb ready to explode; chaos was predicted. The Sox hadn't won the series in 86 years and we were literally three outs away. My cell phone rang - I pick up the phone to hear your voice - you asked "Are you watching the game?" I responded "Of course, I'm at home - and about to miss the last out because I'm on the phone with you." "Ok good" - you say - "I just wanted to make sure you were somewhere safe."

I watched the Sox clinch the series through tears. Not because I cared about the game. Or the team. Or even the sport in general. But because I realized that you and I would always be intricately linked as siblings. We would ALWAYS be a part of each others lives. And that no matter how much time or space was between us, or how different we might be - in looks or in personality - the same blood ran through our veins.

Which is why, tonight - I am overjoyed that you are marrying Julie. Everyone that knows you knows that Julie has brought out the best version of you. And remember that when all the placecards and floral arrangements are cleared. When the band packs up and the photographer leaves - all that matters in the end is that you'll be married to the woman that you fell in love with. Craig - I have never been more honored to be your sister. And Julie - welcome to the family.

No comments: