Saturday, February 28, 2009

It's HERE!

There's not many things that I *want* in the sense of expensive electronics. But when the new version of the Amazon Kindle was released - I told Husband, "I want that for my birthday." I decided to pool together any birthday gifts that I received from family and buy it.
What is it? Brilliance. It's basically an electronic book. You download books onto it (wirelessly! from anywhere!) and then read them. The screen is a technology called "electronic ink" so it's not like reading off a computer screen - it really is like reading off of paper.
My ONLY regret is that for me, a book is a shared experience. I love passing along books to people whom I think will enjoy them. In fact, I usually find myself racing through the last few chapters of a book because I've already identified the next reader I will pass it along to. Books are meant to be shared - and the Kindle takes that away. Other than that - it seems like nothing but good things for a voracious reader. I'll keep you posted.
The Amazon box arrived yesterday and I couldn't get home from work fast enough to play. After setting it up - the only problem is that I have about 4 chapters left of the current paperback that I'm reading, and I won't let myself download my first Kindle book until I finish my current read. Otherwise I know I will NEVER finish those 4 chapters - and I have to, because I can't wait to give this book to my friend, Anne.

2 comments:

Beth Hollenbeck said...

Enjoy all the books you can before you have kids...that is books that have more writing than pictures, more than 10 pages, and that aren't made out of cardboard. :)

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.