Sunday, October 18, 2009

Pest Control

Two stories:
1. I may, or may not, have accidentally washed a load of dishes in ant poison. Ok. I definitely did. We have been having a little problem with those teeny tiny ants coming up from the vents in the dishwasher. So against Husband's better judgement, I was keeping a small ant bait in the floor of the dishwasher between cycles, and then taking it out when I actually ran the dishwasher. Well it was only a matter of time. Today I ran the dishwasher WITH the ant bait still inside - and we're just not 100% sure that the baby would appreciate poison-soaked dishes. We ran the machine again with a mix of bleach and soap (sans poison) and we are now holding the dishes hostage in the machine until we can call the company on Monday to determine if the product is water soluble or what. On the plus side, the ants appear to be gone.

2. Our covered front stoop area outside of the front door has been disgusting for some time. Riddled with what looked like various dirt and scum and a few bugs. It needed a cleaning and today was a great day to do that. I made a bleach/soap mixture (I was all about disinfecting this weekend) and took to the house with a scrub brush and a high-powered hose. What ensued could only be imagined by Hitchcock himself. Spiders. From every conceivable crack and crevice. Big ones, colorful ones, itty bitty baby ones. Dozens and dozens of spiders. The dirt/scum must have been web material (do spiders have nests?) and bug carcasses were falling from the overhang ceiling each time I sprayed it. It was the most disgusting thing that had happened in our house since . . . well, since ants started living in the dishwasher. I have already called the pest control guy, and although I considered waiting until after Halloween, (what could be cooler than a REAL spider-infested stoop?) I am making an appointment for this week.

2 comments:

DSI said...

1. two words: paper plates.
2. this is vile

Beth Hollenbeck said...

For your next ant invasion...Terro (don't know if I spelled that correctly). Hands down the best stuff to kill ants and a tiny drop of it goes on a small square of cardboard on your counter. They love the sweet stuff, but don't know it will kill them and everyone else after they carry it back to their little home. Even if they are inside a dishwasher, they will come out to find the Terro and take it back. They love it that much. Just a thought although I hope the ants are gone forever...