I had to go to the PartyCity today to pick up baby-themed plates and napkins for a baby shower at work tomorrow. I go get in line and a man is standing (skulking?) near the register as if he is maybe or maybe not in line as well. He's probably in his 30s, not-so-well-dressed, certainly not the typical party-decor-shopper. He sees me and says something that sounds like "garragraragrumba" - and from his gestures I can tell the mumbling meant "you go ahead and get in front of me." So I did.
He mumbled something else and I turned around and said "Pardon me?" because I honestly didn't have a clue what he was saying. He repeated himself (equally incomprehensibly) and so I did the thing where you smile and nod and pretend you clearly understood what the scary man at the PartyCity said.
Around this time, I realize that the man has nothing in his hands. No halloween decorations, no faux flowers, no party supplies whatsoever. What he does have is a shifty hand in his pocket which seems to be fumbling for something.
Paranoia ON.
Clearly, the only possible situation here is that this man is about to rob the Party City with the gun that is most definitely in his pocket and I am going to have a near-death experience over a couple of paper plates and a package of napkins.
He continues to mumble.
I continue to smile and nod and start to rub my belly so that he knows I'm pregnant and that a crime against me would actually count TWICE.
The woman in front of me leaves, I'm up to the register, he leans in behind me (ohmygod, ohmygod), takes his hand out of his pocket, slides a single dollar bill to the sales clerk (His demands perhaps? I can't read it!), mumbles something again, and then walks out the door.
The cashier picks up the dollar, reads it, and then starts laughing. HE GAVE HER HIS PHONE NUMBER. Here I am planning my escape from the inevitable PartyCity hostage situation and he is trying to GET A DATE.
On my way out of the store, he is standing by his car smiling. He shouts over to me (oh sure, NOW he can speak clearly!) "What did she think?" I respond, "I think she likes you." (And by the way you scared me so bad I almost peed my new maternity pants!)
Clean up at register 4.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment