Sunday, October 18, 2009

Hospice Regatta

Yesterday, in the weather that topped out at 50 degrees, in the rain, Husband and I participated in a sailing regatta to help raise money for hospice care. Husband worked with an attending last year who has a boat on Lake Hartwell and races in the distance race each year with his 9-year-old daughter. This year, he invited us to come along. Husband did some legitamate sailing, while I was really there to serve as ballast (a boating term for dead-weight to keep the boat from tipping - an ideal job for pregnant women who happen to find themselves in this situation). It was cold, it was wet, and I spent about a quarter of the race down below with the 9-year-old listening Disney music.

We had a really good time (no sarcasm). Despite the weather, it was SO nice to be outdoors for a change and the view of all those boats on the water was spectacular. Plus, it was the first time in a long time that Husband and I got to spend some quality weekend time together. Some pictures for your enjoyment:
First, Husband suiting up for the regatta (don't laugh, that's what all the true boatsmen were wearing!). Next, me trying to get a moment out of the wind. Then, two of our competitors catching a great wind. Last, the boats participating in the shorter course lined up for their start - and an idea of how gross the weather was.

No comments: