Thursday, November 12, 2009

This little piggy went to market.

The Swine Flu is among us. We've had several students at school who have been out with the H1N1 virus and the buzz for us pregnant folks to get the vaccine has been rampant for several weeks. Unfortunately, until recently, the vaccine was only available to people who worked in hospitals or Wall Street investment banking firms. Greenville finally opened a public clinic for high-risk populations to get vaccinated yesterday, and I needed to go since my OB-GYN office hadn't even received a shipment yet!

The clinic opened at 8:30 am; I arrived at 8:00.
And I waited. In the rain.
The cold rain. For 3 hours.
And then another 30 minutes inside the Department of Health.

Don't feel bad, I wasn't alone. With me in line was EVERY pregnant woman and EVERY child under the age of 6 in the entire county of Greenville. At least the pregnant ladies knew what we were in line for. Can you imagine being 4 years old, and waiting with your mom in a line for 3 HOURS. In the RAIN. Being constantly told not to splash the puddles, keep your coat on, don't touch that, and by the way stay under the umbrella please - only to find out that the end of the road contained a vaccination shot? Talk about a raw deal.

I did get to make some nice friends (with the woman who was due in 6 days who stood behind me and the preschooler who likes to sing songs that he made up in front of me.) When all was said and done I got my Swine Flu vaccination, and likely a case of pneumonia.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

"Unfortunately, until recently, the vaccine was only available to people who worked in hospitals or Wall Street investment banking firms." Hahahahaha... you're funny! Glad you got your shot!