Tuesday, September 16, 2008

One of my "pet peeves"

I can't handle the inappropriate usage of quotation marks.
In my opinion, there are essentially TWO reasons when quotation marks should be used in print.

1. When you are quoting another person or indicating dialogue in text.

2. When you are trying to highlight irony in text

It is IMPROPER to use quotation marks for emphasis. For example, the restaurant on my way to work which offers a "Lunch" Buffet.

This makes me think that your use of the word "Lunch" is somehow supposed to be funny. Like it's not really lunch . . . but actually some other meal. Or that I'm in for some ironic twist where I come in expecting an all-you-can-eat buffet and end up finding nothing but small bowls of warm water in the buffet tray. That would be a "Lunch" Buffet. And I would be "thrilled" to be there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here, my friend, is a blog "just" for you.
http://quotation-marks.blogspot.com/