Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Chick-fil-Awkward

Lola and I went to Chick-fil-A for lunch today. The drive-thru was literally wrapped around the building, so we parked and ate-in. (I like the Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich; she likes to watch me eat it.) As I wandered around the completely packed restaurant (tray and stroller in tow) looking for a table, a woman who was sitting at a four-top with her 2 children offered me the seat next to her. At her table. It was a little strange - sitting down with a complete stranger, and her family, no less . . . but there were no other tables. And I was really hungry. So I sat.

But then the awkwardness began. Did this woman want to engage in conversation with me? Or was I just supposed to eat quietly in my corner of the table. She ended up asking me a few questions, and some polite banter occurred. But it was hard to tell where the lines of our newfound relationship really were. Did I offer to get her a refill when I went back for my own? Did I give her a ketchup packet when she needed an extra? I would, of course, do these things for anyone that I was actually at lunch with (on purpose, I mean). But wouldn't necessarily do them for the folks at the table next to me.

In the end, she got me a refill and I kept an eye on her kids. Next time I'll just wait out the drive-thru line.

No comments: