To truly appreciate this story - you have to know my Grammy. If you don't - you may read on, but with the understanding that this might not be funny in any way without the context of actually meeting her, knowing her, and loving her.
I got a message on my voicemail from Grammy. She's making me an afghan, she says. For the new house. Call her to tell her what colors she should use.
I discuss with Husband. It is so sweet of her to make us something. We really want it to be special. To be used and loved as it should be. Husband offers that we should ask her to make a baby blanket. Even though there is no baby (yet) - how amazing would it be to be born and have a blanket waiting for you - handmade by your GREAT Grandmother. Amazing.
I tell him - Grammy won't go for that. Jewish superstition. Some people won't even keep gifts from a baby shower in the house while they are pregnant. Bad Juju for the Jewjews. There's no way she'll make an afghan for a baby that hasn't even been conceived.
We decide that neutral colors will be best. Browns and beiges . . . to match our living room.
But when I call her - something comes over me. I want the baby blanket. I realize (everyday) how lucky I am to have four living grandparents - and my greatest wish is for my yet-to-be-conceived child to have a piece of every one of them. To know them. To love them. So I take a deep breath - prepared for her to poo-poo the idea - and I tell her that I am NOT pregnant, but what would really be special is a blanket that we could give to our first born child.
She responds:
"Mameshaineh - Don't be silly. I already made one for the baby. I have it waiting in the closet - and believe me it's STUNNING."
I can't wait to see it :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
too cute. seriously. love you both.
I don't know your Grammy and that is hilarious. And lovely and sweet as well...
Post a Comment