Monday, July 13, 2009

I Heart Summer Hours

Most people are shocked to learn that even though I work at a high school - I still work over the summer. Teachers are off for a little over 2 months - but the few of us in admin roles (even if we also teach) work year-round (There are 5 of us in the whole upper school!)

Even though work starts at the "traditional" 9:00 - that's an hour and 10 minutes later than I start work during the school year - and it makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE. I wake up relaxed and rested. I don't bargain with the snooze button or cut out aspects of my morning routine to steal 5 more minutes of sleep. (You know how this works - I don't need to shave my legs, that buys me 5 minutes. I don't need to dry my hair, 10 more minutes. Breakfast is overrated, 5 more minutes.)

I leisurely get ready, have a bowl of cereal, watch a little news. And arrive at work with time to spare. And THEN - we get out at 4:00 - enough time to go to the bank, run some errands, pick up groceries, put an actual dinner on the table. It's fantastic. And I love it. And I rue the day that August arrives.

No comments: