Sunday, May 3, 2009

Publix Pressure

Just the other week, I was discussing with a friend (who are you? speak up if you were the friend . . . I can't remember who it was!) how funny it was to see perfectly capable people who are being helped to their car by the grocery store baggers. Sure, they always offer if they can help you out to your car - but seriously, I am relatively young, have 2 legs and 2 arms, am neither pregnant nor have a small child, and am currently sober - I think I can handle my own groceries.

Today at the Publix, the bagger who bagged my groceries gave the obligatory, "May I help you to your car?" And I gave the customary, "Thank you, but I've got it." But he already had the cart in his hands and was pushing it towards the doors. I said (almost insistently) "I can get it from here." But he kept pushing, saying, "It's slow inside - they don't need me right now." I knew this feeling; I was being peer-pressured! At this point, he was halfway off the curb - I had no choice but to oblige.

So now I'm That Girl. Trailing beside the Publix employee who is pushing my cart through the parking lot (barely half-full of groceries) while I walk awkwardly next to him, empty handed, and point out my vehicle. While other people drive past thinking, "It's so funny to see perfectly capable people who . . . ."

1 comment:

Beth Hollenbeck said...

The same thing happened to me last week! I only had 3 bags - also a kid, but he was seated comfortably in the cart and was quite easy to manage. The Publix guy insisted on taking my cart out, then proceeded to tell me that his 29-year old son and fiance lived with him and his wife and they are having a baby soon. Luckily because of the minimal amount of bags I didn't get anymore details. We'll have to come up with a game plan for the next time we come head to head with Publix peer pressure! Is this a good excuse to fork over the cash for Whole Market? :)