Today I went to a NCJW (National Council of Jewish Women) meeting. I'm not 100% sure why - I think I see how close the Jewish community is in Atlanta and was hoping to find some measure of that here in the Ville.
Larry David could not have written this skit any funnier than it actually unfolded. I walked into the synagogue and was greeted by the oldest women on the face of the earth.
Not like "oh, these people are my mom's generation."
Not like "oh, that one reminds me of my Grandma Susie or Grammy".
More like, "I hope everyone in this room survives through the meeting."
I got to hear about bursitis and arthritis and phlebitis and every other physical ailment you can imagine. I found out why that lawyer is a schmuck that shouldn't be trusted and how the ultrasound said it was fraternal grandsons, but really, all you could see was the tushies.
The guest speaker (the only other woman in the room within 3 decades of my own age) was from a local battered women's shelter and was talking about what we can do to help. She reported that South Carolina is the 2nd ranked state for the number of domestic abuse-deaths in the country, to which the woman sitting to my right commented (under her breath, but loud enough for the whole room to hear), "redneck schlubs." Nice nana, real nice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am literally laughing out loud. I am not of the Jewish faith - which doesn't necessarily matter - but this entry was hilarious! Especially the last quote. I know of many people who have lived in SC once before or who currently here that would have given her a standing ovation. So funny!
Post a Comment