Tuesday, April 7, 2009

[silence]

Since when did a shoulder shrug become an acceptable answer to a question? My students love to give this as an answer to any number of questions. . . .
"What kind of college are you considering?"
"Have you thought at all about the University of South Carolina?"
"How's your Algebra grade looking this year?"

The shoulder shrug seems to loosely translate to some combination of "I haven't given it much thought, I don't really know what you are asking, I'm not sure I want to answer that question, and I'm pretty indifferent to the situation at hand."

Sometimes it is accompanied by a noise that has a similar intonation to the phrase "I don't know" but involves only a sound coming through pursed lips and no actual words. But that's only if I'm lucky.

1 comment:

mara said...

lauren--i have those students too! though sometimes instead of a shoulder shrug i get a grunt. haaa! oh students!