Last night, Husband and I were watching the Roast of Cheech and Chong (quality family programming). Tom Arnold stood up to do his bit and I pondered (out loud) why his tongue looked bright yellow. Husband replied, "He was sucking on a lossenger, I think he has a sore throat."
Me: A what?
Him: A lossenger.
Me: A LOZENGE?
Him: No, a lossenger.
Me: Seriously honey, I think it's called a lozenge.
This went on for a while. He was a steadfast and worthy opponent. This discussion/argument ended the way many of ours do. He said, "Call my mom."
And so I did.
I told her I had a sore throat, and I wanted to suck on a soothing drop of some sort. She recommended . . . . a lossenger.
His father stood valiantly behind the blood line and also swore allegiance to "lossenger"
My sister-in-law wasn't picking up her phone.
I called her husband, who I figured I could count on for some intellectual back-up that Husband's bloodline had, in fact, made up this word. He was in class.
With no actual human support. I went to the internet. No valid search results for "lossenger." Or even "losenger." (With the exception of a few folks posting on chat sites . . . but their intelligence and history of proper use of the English language could not be verified.)
I finally found an entry for “Lozenger” . . . . that reported it "is an archaic spelling still in use in a few American dialects. It is occasionally mistaken for a singular form of “lozenges.” The standard spelling is 'lozenge.'"
The site was titled "Common Errors in English Usage" and is based on a book published by a English professor from Washington State University. Apparently one of the few archaic American dialects that still uses "lozenger" is that of Husband's family. I suppose I can let them have this one on a technicality.
(as an aside: when I ran the spell-checker before posting this entry, the word "lossenger" - and all of its various spellings, came up as incorrect. Hmm.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
this is amazing. now ask your husband to spell lozenger and you'll have more blog material.
Love your husband but spelling in not his strong suit. Ask him to spell "spaghetti" frontwords!
You know, Matt can NOT spell! Must be a pre req for medical school.
Post a Comment